Sunday 4 October 2009

First 9 days (Sep. 26 - Oct 4)




Hi all, so 9 days in and exactly 500 miles done. I have literally just crossed into Oregon so that is also my first state ticked off the list. Washington was Fit (capital F necessary) but had possibly a little cellulite in some areas (Aberdeen AKA. shitsville). I spent most of my time circling round to the north of the Olympic national park, which was truly stunning and was definitely worth the effort to go see. It also provided me with plenty of opportunity for a little camping of questionable legality, and some pleasant skinny-dipping, to try and make me feel vaguely clean. Nicest person award goes to Mike just south of Bellingham, who gave me a basement to sleep in, and a bathroom and kitchen to use. My first few days have not been without mishap, I lost my wallet on day 2 and spent a frantic 3 hours and 25 miles of backtracking to find it again, big big relief. I've also had to re-true my wheels twice already, had my first puncture, already burnt through a set of brakes and lost my towel. Despite this I've had a great time: one day I cycled with a guy called Steve, who runs a custom brass instrument shop in LA, ************************************************* [edited at the request of Mrs Alicia Herbert]. I've had a couple of great camping spots a few nights ago I had a 4 mile beach on the Pacific in the National forest to myself but the prize has to go to last night (in the pretty picture), which was an abandoned campsite just west of South Bend, I also got the moon setting over the same view this morning. Although I've been alone a fair bit of the time its difficult to be lonely with views like this, I'm only lonely when on a boring, straight road with trucks whizzing past my left ear. The other blemmish so far has been seeing the logging taking place in around the national park, whole hillsides are completely ripped down and left covered in a brown mess. It seems incredible to me that a government could sanction this destruction, let alone gloat about the benefits it brings. I'm looking forward to my next section through Oregon, where I hope i'll be doing some surfing and head inland to see Crater lake. Keep well all of you and please send me knews you have (but only if its exciting).


3 comments:

  1. Hey herbie, sounds like you're having an action packed time. 500 miles in 9 days is nae bad pal. I'm going to facebook you xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I can't work out how to change my profile thing so it comes up as a number but it's your lovely sister Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saturday afternoon, Oct. 10. My friend Eric and I were lucky enough to encounter Ed high in the Oregon Cascades, riding a gravel road at about 6,000 feet elevation. He was headed for Diamond Lake, which is just north of the entrance to Crater Lake National Park. All was well, although he was a bit short on water and beer. Go Ed!
    Mike McElevey - Tigard, Oregon.

    ReplyDelete