Wednesday 24 February 2010

Rest and Relaxation





After my tussel with the winds I felt it was finally time to do a little sight seeing and take a little time off the saddle. I made a final climb up to, the surprisingly freezing, city of San Cristobal about 150 km's from the Guatemalla border, and on route I took a lovely little boat trip up the Chiapa's answer to the Grand Canyon, with the cliffs towering a km vertically over our heads. In San Cristobal I would leave my bike and kit, taking a bus uip to the bright lights of Mexico city. My first night in the biggest of big smokes saw me drinking and partying with 20 locals I met through Henny, a new friend from Taxco, I seem to remember at one point tequilla shots in Sombrerros. Other highlights included going to a salsa club (fat old men suddenly jumping out of their seats and dancing like they were 20-and not just chucking out the old cooking pot routine in lounge but dancing like pro's), climbing the 3rd largest pyramid in the world, going to watch wrestling and the arrival of Andrew, the first familiar face I had seen in 4 months, who had sweetly timed his arrival to coincide with my birthday. For my birthday Andrew and I were given a guided tour round the city by Alex, a friend of Henny's, who gave up his afternoon to show off his city, stuff us with supeme Mexican cuisine and get us pissed, before driving us back to our hostel, what an absolute legend. After 9 nine days off the bike and with my batteries recharged (although perhaps with a little too much booze), I returned to San Cristobal to fix up my bike with the parts Andrew had brought me from England and to prepare myself for my charge through Central America...

No comments:

Post a Comment